Thursday, October 7, 2010

Change of plans...Early arrival

We would like to introduce you to Daniel Wayne and Dean Hamilton!! 


They decided to disregard their mom's strict timeline and make an early exit from the womb.  Instead of waiting until 9/23 and allowing us to finish the nursery and pack our hospital bag, they were born on Sunday, September 19th.  I guess they wanted to share Papa and Grandma's anniversary date!  The Hamby family calendar was void of birthdays in the month of September.  The only event was my mom and dad's anniversary.  We had 29 other days to choose from and yet it was the 19th.  I guess Papa and Grandma will always remember DandD's birthday!

Sunday morning I was sitting, eating breakfast, when I started to pass out.  I've never passed out before but I figured if I didn't get Scott's attention, I would be lying on the floor when he found me later on.  I made it into our bedroom where Scott was sleeping and just fell into the bed.  Scott sat up real fast and I told him I just felt like I was going to pass out and then my head started throbbing.  He wanted to call an ambulance but I said we should just drive since we live so close to the hospital and could get there before the ambulance would make it to our house.  Plus, as long as I could walk, I didn't want to have to pay an ambulance bill!  We made it to the hospital where they quickly hooked me up to monitor my contractions and make sure the babies weren't under any stress.  What the monitors showed was that I was in labor and my contractions were constant with no pause in between, yet I couldn't feel them.  They drew some blood and the results showed I was severely anemic...which I hadn't been during my pregnancy.  The nurse kept asking me if I could feel the contractions.  I assured her the only thing I felt was my horrible headache.  The decision was made to call my Dr.  She arrived quickly and reviewed everything that had been done so far.  She was concerned that I couldn't feel the contractions, that I was severely anemic so quickly and my head hurt so bad.

She decided they would go ahead and deliver me that day.  She was going to gather "The Team" and then get started.  I assumed "gathering The Team" would take 3-4 hours...don't ask me what I based that on.  I called to tell my parents that boys would be born within the next few hours.  While still on the phone with them, I was told that they were prepping me for surgery!  It took them less than 45 minutes to gather The Team and wheel me into the OR.  We barely had time to have my big brother bring a camera to the hospital for us.  In fact, my doctor held up the c-section 15 minutes so we could get the camera and have pictures to show everyone!  We LOVE my doctor! 

I was loaded up with some pretty wonderful drugs and the c-section began.  They opened me up and removed Daniel so fast that Scott hadn't even turned the camera on yet!  Once they cleaned Daniel up and helped him start breathing, Scott started taking pictures and video clips.  Dean was born 2 minutes later (it took a little extra time removing him from the home he made in my ribcage!).  Meantime, I started to feel like passing out again.  The room started spinning and I could hear my doctor calling out for blood.  That's really all I can remember of the actual c-section.  I woke up in the recovery room.  Turns out Daniel's placenta abrupted (tore away from my uterus) and I was bleeding into his placenta.  Nobody knew this had happened because I wasn't bleeding out and I wasn't screaming in pain.  Once they opened me up and removed Daniel they could see what had happened.  They had to get both boys out before starting any work on me.  After both boys were stable, Scott followed them up to the NICU (at the prompting of my doctor...and apparently me, but I don't remember that) and they began working on me.  I ended up getting two blood transfusions and a host of drugs pumped into my system.  By the time I got to my room that night, I was incredibly swollen.  A couple days later my doctor explained to us what had happened.  She said it was a good thing we came to the hospital when we did because Daniel would have suffered some damage or even died had we waited too long.  She didn't understand why I didn't feel that pain, and I didn't understand either.  The last comment she made to me at my previous appointment in her office was that I needed to go to the ER if I had a bad headache.  I'm not so sure I would've gone to the ER had she not told me that.  Scott would've made me go anyway, but if it were up to me, I probably would've said I just need to stay in bed and rest for a couple hours.  Thank God it didn't happen that way! 

After all the testing they performed on Dean (due to the mass on his lung) and Daniel, the decision was made to keep Daniel in the NICU because his oxygen levels had been dropping due to ingesting my blood mixed with his amniotic fluid.  They wanted to monitor his breathing and make sure he was stable before releasing him.  Dean was released from the NICU later that night.  We expected Dean to be in the NICU for a couple days and Daniel to be in there for just the day but it turned out to be the opposite!  Daniel was released from the NICU later the following afternoon.  We were all discharged on Thursday and were excited to get our boys home!



Can you tell we were ready to get home?

We had help from Aunt Kate getting all our stuff home and getting the boys settled that night.  Thank you, Kate!!  The next post will have more pictures and less writing, I promise!  Get ready to see lots of photos of two of the cutest baby boys!

Love,
A proud, new momma

No comments:

Post a Comment